Discord app not opening for users. When you double-click the executable, nothing happens. For some users it opens but nothing appears on the screen, just a plain background appears on the screen and nothing else. Many users try to open the app after a hard reset or reinstall, but even that doesn’t seem to fix the problem.
We don’t know exactly what prevent Discord from opening What we do know, however, is that the Discord app works. If you open the task manager, you will have discord.exe in the running processes. So we know Discord works, but it just doesn’t show up on screen. For people just seeing the gray screen, it could be because Discord is trying to login and is stuck in the login process. So the Discord app doesn’t show anything on the screen because it can’t connect.
The good news is that whether your discord won’t open at all or just shows a blank screen, there are solutions to this problem. There are various solutions, so keep trying the methods until the problem is solved.
1. Repair corrupted system files to open Discord
Download and run Restoro to check for corrupted files here, if any files are corrupt or missing, repair them and then check if Discord now opens. If the Discord app still won’t open, follow the solutions below.
2. Task Kill Discord (32-bit) from Task Manager
As mentioned above, the reason the Discord app isn’t showing up isn’t because it wasn’t launched. The app starts but usually runs in the background. Finding the app, stopping the process and restarting the app solved the problem for many users.
Here are the steps to remove Discord background process
- Hold down the CTRL, SHIFT, and Esc keys (CTRL + SHIFT + ESC). This should open Task Manager.
- Choose procedure language
- Scroll down the list and find the discord.exe.
- Choose discord.exe and click the last task
- Although there should only be one discord.exe process, some users had multiple discord.exe processes. So repeat this process for all discord.exe processes in this list.
When you’re done, close the task manager and restart the app. It should work fine now.
2.1. Task Kill (alternatively) via CMD
This method is an alternative method to Method 1. For some users, the first method doesn’t work. If you are one of these users, follow the steps below
- Care for Windows key and press R
- paste organized and press come in
- Enter this command and press come in
taskkill /F /IM discord.exe
This will end the discord.exe task. When you’re done, restart the Discord app and everything should work as it should.
3. Connect to Discord over the internet
Sometimes the problem can also be caused by sessions/cookies. Many users solved the problem by logging in from the web version and then trying the Windows app version. In fact, most users didn’t even need to log into the web version of Discord. Fixed Discord app issue once Discord web version is opened.
So launch the Discord app on the desktop. If it doesn’t start or shows a gray screen, launch the web version of Discord and connect. This will most likely reset the account in the Discord app and it should work normally.
4. Uninstall Discord and remove AppData content
If the above methods don’t work, it’s time to uninstall and reinstall the Discord app. However, simply uninstalling and reinstalling the app doesn’t seem to fix the problem. For many users, uninstalling the app and then deleting the AppData content seemed to work. Once the content is removed, reinstalling the Discord app will completely resolve the issue.
So here are the complete steps you need to follow.
- Care for Windows key and press R
- paste appwiz.cpl and press come in
- Find the Discord app in the list. Choose Discord app and click Confirm any additional prompts. Note: If you get a message that Discord cannot be uninstalled because it is already running, follow the steps in Method 1 or Method 2 to end the Discord task. When you’re done, uninstall the app afterwards.
- The Discord app should now be uninstalled.
- Care for Windows key and press R
- paste %App data% and press come in. If that doesn’t work or you don’t see any folders, do the following: long press Windows key and press my > To select Consider above > To verify the option Hidden Objects > Now try to do steps 1 and 2
- Locate the Discord folder, the right mouse button and select Extinguish. Confirm all other information
- When you’re done, restart your computer
Please reinstall the Discord app once you log in again. This clean install should fix any issues you were having with the app.
5. Disable proxy server
Discord often doesn’t work well with proxies and VPNs. So if you have implemented a VPN or are using a proxy, Discord may not work properly and may also prevent you from connecting. Because of this, it may not start properly. It is recommended to disable any proxies/VPNs and try opening the app again.
6. Set the date/time on your PC
It seems strange to think that the Discord app could have something to do with the date and time settings, but it’s true. Changing the date/time settings to automatic solved the problem for many of our users. Therefore, in this step we will change the date/time settings to automatic. Therefore:
- Hurry over there “the window“+”I” simultaneously.
- Click on At “weather Y language” Possibility.
- Click on At “To adjust weather Automatically‘ to activate it.
- Throw it away the Discord app and Check to see if the problem persists.
7. DNS reset
In some cases, DNS settings get corrupted over time, preventing certain applications from communicating with the internet. If your DNS settings are interfering with the Discord app, it may not be working properly. Therefore, in this step we will reset the DNS settings by flushing the DNS. Therefore:
- Hurry over there “the window“+”R” keys at the same time.
- paste Inside “organized‘ and press Enter.
- paste this command and press come in.
Expect so that the process can be completed, start the Discord app and Check to see if the problem persists.
8. Disable link blockers for web redirects
Another common issue we encountered was that users couldn’t open Discord because they had active link blockers on their computer. Every time you open the web version and join a server, the computer prompts you to open the link with the discord Application. If you have Link Blocker active and click on the redirect link, the whole process will be clogged and you can’t open the discord.
Here you can check if your browser has extensions that may be active and are blocking outbound links. If you are using Google Chrome, paste the following code into the address bar and press Enter. Disable all link/ad blockers.
In addition, you should also check yours virus protection software and see if it blocks web links to open the Discord app. You can also temporarily disable your antivirus software and see if it works.
9. Run Discord as Administrator
If your Discord installation is on the system drive, the computer administrator may need additional permissions to perform certain functions on the storage device. So in this step, we are going to grant Discord admin permissions and check if that solves the problem and starts Discord successfully. To be able to do this:
- Right-click on the Discord desktop shortcut and select it “Open file location” or navigate to the Discord installation folder yourself.
- In the Discord folder, right-click and select the Discord.exe file “Properties” the list.
- Click on that “Compatibility” tab in the window that opens.
- Check the “Run this program as administrator” option and then click “Use” to save your changes.
- Once the changes are saved, click “TO THE RIGHT” to close Discord.
- Check if this fixed the issue with Discord.
10. Install PTB discord
If the above methods didn’t work for you, you can try using a different version discord and see if the problem persists there another building will have its own data and cache, so it won’t bother yours discord. However, you must log in again. Also, these versions are officially available at Discord website So you don’t have to worry about some bugs and general issues since it is a public beta trial. To install PTB DiscordFollow these steps:-
- FirstYou must download PTB discord Configuration via this link.
- Once PTB discord Setup is downloaded, just open setup and install it PTB Discord.
- Once you open PTB version should update and everything from there is like normal discord.
- Just log into your account and see if you still have the issue.
Note: Additionally, you can try running an SFC scan and a DISM scan to ensure that no system files are moved. Also perform a clean boot to prevent third party services and apps from interfering with Discord and check if it works properly. If this is the case, you can try re-enabling them one by one and see which one is having the problem.