The printer driver is not available error means that the driver installed on your printer is incompatible or outdated. It can also mean that the driver is corrupt and not recognized by the computer.
If the computer cannot recognize or work with the driver, you cannot access your printer and use it to print jobs. This problem is very common in the printing world and can be fixed with a few tweaks here and there. Check out the solutions listed below.
Updating drivers with a driver utility
We strongly recommend that you update all your drivers using the DriverFix utility, which can be downloaded here. This utility scans your PC for outdated drivers and updates them.
Uninstall the printer driver
There are mainly two main solutions that you can use to counter the printer driver is not available error. Or you can uninstall the printer and all associated software and then install them on the system. Either that, or you can browse all available drivers and choose the right one for your device.
We will uninstall the printer and all associated software and then attempt to connect. This, in turn, will install the default drivers.
- Press Windows + R, type “check‘ in the dialog box, and then press Enter. In the Control Panel, make sure that the option View by: Large icons is selected. click now devices and printer.
- All printers are listed here. Right-click on the printer causing the problem and select “Remove the device“.
- Now press Windows + R again and type “growthmsc“. Go to category “Print Queues“, right-click on your printer and select “Uninstall device“. This may not be there after removing the printer from the control panel. So don’t worry if you don’t have it.
- Now press Windows + R, type “appwizAnonymous Society‘ in the dialog box, and then press Enter. All apps will be listed here. Right click on all apps for your printer and select “uninstall“.
- After doing all the above steps, separate Disconnect the printer from your computer if you are using a USB connection, or disconnect it from the router if you are using a wireless connection. Conclude his computer, PrinterAnd you routers. plug it in power supply from all
- After about 10 minutes of waiting, plug everything back in and start all modules. First, connect the printer to your computer using a USB cable. Wait for it to be detected and allow the necessary drivers to be installed.
- Now go back to Control Panel, right click on the device and select “Set as default printer“. Now try to print a test page and see if the issue is resolved.
Install the latest drivers manually
If the above solution doesn’t work, we will try updating the printer drivers manually. There are also cases where the printer works fine but crashes due to a Windows update. Updated Windows drivers can be problematic and may not work on all systems. This case is particularly noticeable with HP printers. One way to work around this problem is to manually update the selected driver by downloading it from the manufacturer’s website and then disable Windows Update from updating the driver.
Before proceeding, be sure to navigate to the manufacturer’s website and download the specific drivers for your hardware to an accessible location.
- Hurry Windows+R to throw Class paste”devmgmt.msc” in the dialog box and press Enter. This will launch your computer’s Device Manager.
- Navigate to all materials, open submenu “Print QueuesRight-click and select your printer hardwareupdate drivers“.
- Now Windows will show a dialog asking you how you want to update your driver. Choose the second option (Browse my computer for driver software) and continue.
Select the downloaded driver file using the browse button when it appears and update accordingly.
Note: In some cases, the printer may not be visible in Device Manager. In this case, just run the installer and the driver will be installed automatically.
- Check if the printer is working properly at this time. If this is the case, go to the Microsoft official website and download the package.wushowhide.diagcab“.
- Run the package and click Next.
- Click now Hide updates the option offered.
- After that select Printer update (if applicable) and continue. Now Windows Update will not automatically update your printer drivers until you ask it to.
Install the generic printer driver
If none of the above methods worked for you, your printer may not be recognized by your computer or may be stuck as an unknown device. In this case, you must manually install the default generic printer drivers for your printer. Follow these steps:-
- Hold the Windows key and then press X. Now select “Device Administrator”.
- Once device administrator is open, locate your printer. If you cannot find it, please look in the mentioned category “Unknown Devices”
- Right-click your printer and click “Update driver”.
- Now click on the “Browse my computer for drivers” Possibility.
- To select “Let me choose from the list of available pilots…” then select “Generic Software Device”.
- click now “Next” Then restart your computer.
Please note that installing this driver may affect some functions of your printer, but at least make it usable.