To watch cartoons, most people opt for Crunchyroll streaming service. Crunchyroll has a user base of over 45 million and is one of the most visited websites in the entertainment category. Users love watching anime on Crunchyroll, but the ad bombardment makes the experience pretty boring. And Crunchyroll doesn’t offer a way to skip these ads.
To overcome this disadvantage, many users decide to use ad blockers. But on the other hand, Crunchyroll applies techniques to overcome these ad blockers. And they are quite successful in using these techniques and tricking users into finding ways to prevent ads from loading and that is why they are here. These are the ways to watch Crunchyroll without ads.
Please note that crunchyroll.com is a cross-platform application. It has a web version with applications for Android and iOS. Blocking ads on mobile apps is a different story.
Update your AdBlock extension and filter lists to the latest version
Crunchyroll.com continues to employ various techniques to bypass and bypass ad blockers. An outdated AdBlock extension or outdated filter lists will not keep up with newly applied methods and techniques. In this case, updating the AdBlock extension and filter lists to the latest version can fix the problem. For illustration, we’ll use Chrome with the AdBlock extension installed. You can follow the instructions depending on your browser and ad blocker extension.
- Throw it away Chrome and click the action menu (3 dots near the top right corner) and then click More tools.
- Then click in the submenu extensions.
- Near the top right corner, enable the developer mode.
- now click To update to update all extensions.
- Once the update process is complete, Start anew Then open Chrome crispy roll to check if ads are blocked. If not, you can try updating the filter lists.
- Although the filter lists are updated automatically, users can also update them manually by following the instructions on AdBlock’s official page. These instructions apply to AdBlock filter lists and you can follow the instructions based on your adblocker extension.
- After refreshing the filter lists, check if the issue is resolved.
Modify the hosts file to skip in-stream ads
When Crunchyroll posts ads to a feed, it uses static.vrv.co to post ads. We can modify the hosts file to play a trick that prevents ads from loading.
- Conclude your internet browser.
- Hurry the window key and type Pads. Then, in the resulting list, the right mouse button in Notepad, and then click Execute as administrator.
- Now click in the editor Binder then click Open minded.
- Now switch to the Open From dialog box text documents to the All files.
- Then navigate to your “host Records” Phone book. It is usually found in
- From the files that appear, select the “Host” Binder.
- Now add a new line at the end of # in the hosts files
By making this change, we are actually instructing your browser to look for ads on your system that are definitely not there, and therefore the ads will not load and will therefore be ignored.
- Then save and close the file.
- Now open your browser and see if Crunchyroll is showing any ads.
Try a different browser with a different ad blocker extension
Maybe your adblocking extension/browser has been compromised or your adblocking extension can’t keep up with the ever-changing Crunchyroll. In this case, changing your adblock extension may solve the problem. In this case, trying a different browser with a different extension may work. If you are using Chrome, try Firefox and Edge or another browser with a different browser extension to fix the problem and vice versa.
The following extensions are known to work for adblocking on Crunchyroll
- ad unit
- ad guard
- Stop all ads
- block origin
- Adblock Plus
Use Opera with its built-in ad blocker
Opera’s built-in ad blocker outperforms many popular ad blocker extensions. We found positive feedback from users who stated that they did not find any ads while browsing Opera. Please note that if you choose to migrate your information when you switch browsers, there will be sync issues between Chrome and Opera.
- Download and install Opera browser.
- now start Opera and open your the settings. (Alt+P is the keyboard shortcut.)
- At the top of the settings To let Ad blocker function.
- Now open Crunchyroll to see if ads are showing.
Use Nano Defender
Crunchyroll uses Anti-AdBlock detection to serve ads. Some browser extensions can bypass Anti-AdBlock detection. Nano Defender is one of those extensions. But it only works with Nano Adblocker or you can make it work with Ublock Origin.
- Download Nano Defender.
- Nano Defender can be used together with Nano Adblocker.
- Nano Defender can also work with Ublock Origin.
- Next, launch your web browser and see if you’re seeing any ads on Crunchyroll.
Use development tools
If your adblocker extension failed to block ads on Crunchyroll, we can use Chrome developer tools to prevent ads from loading by blocking the URL or domain used to display ads.
- Throw it away chrome and open Crunchyroll.
- now the right mouse button on the page and select “Inspect“.
- press now Ctrl+Shift+P to open the control box.
- Now type “See request blocking‘ and press Enter.
- In the new panel, enable the “Enable request blocking“.
- Now click on the plus press and “vrv.co‘ and click Add.
- Keep the development console open and check if the problem is resolved.
- Please note that you must keep the Dev Console to keep it running and watch Crunchyroll ad-free.
If you’re still having trouble, or if the URL where Crunchyroll publishes ads has changed, please follow the instructions below:
- On the Crunchyroll website, right-click the page, then click “Inspect‘.
- Now in the development console click on the ‘network‘ tab.
- Now click ‘media‘, which will show all video ads currently running on the page.
- Now play a video on Crunchyroll and the requests will appear on the dashboard. These requests are from another website used to serve the ads.
- In the dashboard, right-click an indicator and click “Block domain request’. And thus, this ad serving website is added to your block list. Check now if ads are showing on Crunchyroll.
- Remember not to block anything from Crunchyroll or your video may not play. You may need to repeat this process once or twice to block all ad serving. Note that you only need the domain, not the full URL, so just static.vrv.co.
Uninstall/reinstall your ad blocker extension
If nothing has worked for you so far, you may be able to fix the problem by uninstalling and then reinstalling your extension. To illustrate, we will uninstall and reinstall AdBlock from Chrome. You can follow the instructions of your browser and its adblocker extension.
- Throw it away chrome and click action menu (3 dots near the top right corner). Then click More tools.
- Now click in the submenu extensions.
- Then access yours Ad blocker extension (here AdBlock) and click Remove.
- again install on pc Y To let your browser extension and check if the problem is resolved.
Use a guest pass to open Crunchyroll without ads
A user can use Guest Passes to enjoy Crunchyroll without any ads or fees. Once a month, Premium members receive a password, a kind of invitation ticket that allows a newcomer to experience all the Premium membership features for 48 hours. However, there are some limitations as a free account can use 10 access codes every six months. But the main problem is how to get the guest pass?
A guest pass can be purchased as follows:
- A friend with a premium Crunchyroll subscription.
- Official Crunchyroll Guest Pass thread.
- Weekly Reddit guest thread.
- Social networks such as Facebook pages
Use Crunchyroll Premium subscription
If nothing worked for you and you can afford a premium subscription starting at $7.99/month + taxes, then it’s a good idea to use the subscription option to get rid of ads.
VRV in the United States
US users can also opt for VRV.CO which is powered by Crunchyroll and the ad blockers still work there.